Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Leftover Tofurkey Scrambler


If you’re like me, you enjoy leftovers but sometimes get bored of eating the same thing 3 times in one week. As a chef I’ve spent most of my life enhancing leftovers. I add olives and vegetarian bacon bits or veggie burgers to Mac-n-cheese, throw some spices and extra veggies into pasta, and I have been tossing leftover Indian food into a pan with some eggs to make leftover omelets. I recently realized that I can use just about any leftovers (save for pasta and pizza) for omelets or scramblers. I’ve been experimenting for months and I do have a few finished ‘leftover’ or “garbage” omelets but I haven’t had the time to type them up yet. In honor of the holiday season I’m posting my leftover Thanksgiving omelet and scrambler recipes first.


Leftover Tofurkey and Cranberry Omelets

Ingredients
  1. 3 eggs
  2. 1 piece of a cooked tofurkey roast (diced or chopped) and the rice that was in the middle of the slice.
  3. 3 or 4 tbsp of cranberry sauce (more if it doesn’t have whole or chopped cranberries in it)
  4. Splash of milk
  5. Dash of poultry seasoning
  6. Butter flavored cooking spray
  7. 1 tsp butter or margarine (to grease pan)
  8. ¼ cup or less tofurkey gravy (heated)





Directions
  1. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add milk, and beat with a fork until blended.
  2. If you haven’t already done so, cut separate the tofurkey “meat” from the rice, and cut it into medium sized cubes. You don’t want them to be too much larger than the pieces in the picture.
  3. Add the tofurkey chunks, rice, and cranberries/ cranberry sauce to the eggs and stir until evenly mixed.
  4. Melt the butter or margarine in a medium sized frying pan and add cooking spray. Do not overheat. If your butter starts to bubble, the flame/ burner is on too high.
  5. Pour the mixture into the pan and cook over a medium flame.
  6. Allow the scrambler to cook evenly, stirring occasionally so there won’t be any raw bits.
  7. The time it takes to do this will vary depending on your stove, and how high of a flame you use. The eggs should be fluffy when finished. The rice may prevent your omelet from holding together as one big piece which is why I listed this as a scrambler.






No comments:

Post a Comment